Israel escalates strikes across Lebanon as Hezbollah announces retaliatory attacks
Airstrikes, shelling, and cross-border attacks intensify despite a declared ceasefire, with rising casualties reported in southern and eastern Lebanon.
Israel launched overnight strikes on eastern Lebanon and issued evacuation warnings for residential areas despite the declared ceasefire.
A series of strikes shortly before midnight from Friday into Saturday targeted the outskirts of the town of Brital in the eastern mountain range along the border with Syria, an area that had remained untouched by Israeli airstrikes since the ceasefire took effect on April 17.

Earlier, the Israeli army issued an evacuation warning for two buildings in the Tyre area ahead of plans to strike them, claiming that Hezbollah was using them. The two buildings were later bombed in Tyre, the largest city in southern Lebanon, which has been repeatedly targeted by Israeli strikes.
Two explosions were heard as the building came under attack, before smoke was seen rising from it and flames breaking out while civil defense teams prepared to approach the area. Shortly afterward, a second explosion was heard inside the city and smoke was seen rising from the site.
Following the Israeli warning, civil defense personnel and municipal police used loudspeakers to urge people to leave the area. The streets witnessed heavy traffic as residents rushed to evacuate their homes after the warning.
إخلاء عدد من المسنين قرب المبنى المهدد في مدينة صور- جنوب لبنان pic.twitter.com/orMEvqmLRO
— Annahar النهار (@Annahar) May 22, 2026
Airstrikes and rising number of casualties
In the same context, Israeli warplanes continued carrying out airstrikes targeting the towns of Deir Qanoun al-Nahr, al-Ghandouriya, Debbin, Nabatieh, Frun, Kfara, al-Mansouri, Sarifa, Kfar Tebnit, between Kfara and Yater, Baraashit, Haris, Hadatha, Rashaf, Touline, Qabrikha, Yater, Souaneh, al-Marwaniya, and Shehour in southern Lebanon.
Israeli artillery shelling also hit Yohmor al-Shaqif, al-Haniyeh, the outskirts of Buyout al Siyad, Wadi al-Hujayr, Aadshit, Tebnin, and Zawtar al-Sharqiya.

Hezbollah operations
On the other hand, Hezbollah announced that it targeted a gathering of Israeli army soldiers at the Biranit barracks using an Ababil attack drone, claiming direct hits that prompted the deployment of a helicopter to evacuate the site.
It also targeted an Israeli army armored personnel carrier at the al-Rahib site with an Ababil attack drone and struck a newly established Israeli command center in the village of al-Bayyada with a rocket barrage.
The group further said it targeted a gathering of Israeli soldiers in the area of Deir Hanna south of al-Bayyada with rockets, and another gathering at the Misgav Am site using attack drones.
Hezbollah fighters also struck a Merkava tank in the village of Markaba with an attack drone, an communications vehicle at the Misgav Am site, and a gathering of Israeli soldiers in al-Bayyada with a heavy rocket. In addition, they targeted an Israeli force stationed in the village of Naqoura with an attack drone.
Hezbollah also said it struck an Israeli troop position inside a tent in the village of Maroun al-Ras in southern Lebanon with an attack drone.
Israeli media reported that an Israeli soldier was injured after a booby-trapped drone exploded in Misgav Am in the Finger of the Galilee.
Since the ceasefire came into effect, which was extended for an additional 45 days earlier this week, Israel has continued carrying out strikes it says target Hezbollah and its members, along with demolition and destruction operations in the south.